Welcome to our month long buy less plan! Read here to get caught up on what’s going on.
Product: Thomas Edison didn’t try to get that lightbulb thing right 1,000 times for you to be flippant. For that matter, electricity itself is so amazing, powerful, and dangerous and the ability we have to rein it in and use it for something as wonderful as light is something to be seriously appreciated with humble wonder.
How can someone just mindlessly slap at a switch on a wall and then walk away from that awesome wonder that is so cautiously contained in such a small space yet shooting out in light all around the room?
We waste electricity all the time. It’s yet another area where most people spend more money than we need to.
The most obvious electricity waster is lights left on when we’re not in the room. It takes a lot of effort not to fall into the bad habit of leaving on the lights. Just ask kids. It is NOT natural for us to turn off lights. Kids need 78,560,003 reminders to turn off their lights before they remember to do it themselves once.
You can break it down into two categories: making sure you don’t consume electricity you aren’t using (like the turning off of lights or fighting vampire charges) and making sure you are not consuming more electricity than you need to for your purpose.
To make sure you’re not consuming more than you need to there are lots of tips. Here are a few:
- Insulate your hot water heater (if it’s a gas heater that won’t help with electricity but it’s still a good idea.)
- Don’t use your clothes dryer when it’s nice out and the sunshine is free.
- Use LED lightbulbs.
- Turn the temperature up a little on your fridge.
- Use a rake and manual set of clippers instead of an electric leaf blower and electric clippers.
- Use Energy Star appliances.
- Run the air conditioner as little as possible. Shading your house with plants, closing shades, and just being tougher and not so wussy helps with that.
Reason to buy less: You don’t want to be identified by your things.
Suggestion: If you fully appreciate what you already have you will not need nearly as much stuff. Just a few key details shifted will draw attention to different details each time.
So learn to accessorize. You can even accessorize with the things you already have without having to buy more. Be adventurous and think outside of the box. It makes those old things seem new again and you won’t feel so drawn to buy new stuff.